Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Beautiful Mess?

My Lion and I made Christmas cookies today.      




I kid you not, it was STRESSFUL for me.  Ten years in a convent prepared me for a holy death but not raising my boys, "Lion" and "Bear."  I tried this last year and nearly lost my mind.  Why, oh WHY did I try it again!?  Did I think it would be easier or I would have miraculously developed the patience of a . . . nun?  For real.  Being a mother is the test of all endurance, holiness, and love.  I am sure there are many women out there that would delight in the energetic child---the way he tears the cookie dough into pieces, squishes it through his fingers, runs and jumps on the couch with a shirt covered in flour, but I am the one who takes many deep breaths and prays for mercy.  I am the one who pours herself a big cup of coffee laced with Irish Creme (the real stuff) and hopes that I won't be finding sprinkles in ungodly places for the next week.  

So.  Gazing at beauty.  Ha!  Lesson learned, Lord.  This is a mess.  My child's joy is beautiful.  But together?  Can I say this is a beautiful mess.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment