Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Community, Solitude, and the Aurora Borealis

I'm not finished with the aurora borealis.  This idea of glory, of transcendent beauty, is a muse of mine. I used to see beauty and want to swallow it . . . literally.  How can you shove handfuls of swaying trees down your throat?  I don't know.  But I've done it.

It is a gift to desire beauty.  There are very few moments for me anymore where I am distinctly aware of its presence.

Which brings me to my New Year's....um....pledge?  I am afraid to say resolution.  But I want to pledge to myself a balance of community and solitude.  These two realities are full of beauty for me, but they do not simply appear like a genie when I rub the beauty bottle.  I need to pursue them and accept them.  Maybe I desire community, but I have been given solitude.  Acceptance.  Maybe I desire solitude and have been thrown into community.  Instead of running the other way, I accept.  

Now in this acceptance of my circumstances I am not giving up the pursuit of strong, nurturing friendships.  I am not avoiding the quiet, centering times of prayer.  I am not passively moving through life saying, "everything happens for a reason."  I am accepting what I cannot change.  But if I can change things?  If I can move a mountain for one moment of rest?  Look out world!  I pledge to myself to pursue the beauties of community and solitude.  And maybe in those moments I will catch a glimpse of aurora borealis.

No comments:

Post a Comment